Date:      Sat, 12 Sep 2009 17:34:27 -0500
From:      "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        "Heino Tiedemann" <rotkap@gmx.de>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org, bug-followup@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/138752: www/linux-opera does not start

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 15:44:48 -0500, Heino Tiedemann <rotkap@gmx.de> wrote:

> "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Can you show me the output of 'pkg_info -IX linux' and 'sysctl
>> compat.linux'?
>

> yes, of course..

Thanks.

> ,----[ pkg_info -IX linux ]
<snip>
> | linux_base-fc-4_15  Base set of packages needed in Linux mode (for
> i386/amd64)
> `----

I have linux_base-f8-8_10 installed here. It looks like Opera now required
glibc 2.4, which is available in f8 but dunno about f6. I will have to
uninstall all of my linux_* ports and test it with linux_base-f6 to see if
it will working. For I can edit the USE_LINUX in the Makefile by change
 from 'yes' to '6', '7' or else what it required. I think the emulation@
team said that it's recommend to have f8 or above. Not sure, need to check
w/ them.

> ,----[ sysctl compat.linux ]
> | compat.linux.oss_version: 198144
> | compat.linux.osrelease: 2.4.2
> | compat.linux.osname: Linux
> `----

Since linux-opera now requires newer linux_base than f4, so it is going to
force you to set compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16 in your /etc/sysctl.conf
before you can upgrade your linux_base. The compat.linux.osrelease only
exists in FreeBSD 7.x and above. The FreeBSD 8.x sets to 2.6.16 by default.

BTW: Add emulation@ in the CC for they can correct me if I said anything
wrong with Linux emulation stuff related.

Cheers,
Mezz

--
mezz7@cox.net  -  mezz@FreeBSD.org