Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 1997 23:44:28 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ld with -R weirdness

As John Polstra wrote:

> > > I should mention one other thing.  If LD(1) is to be believed, there
> > > should be no space between ld's "-R" option and the
> > > "record-library-search-path" that follows it.

> > It seems to work the same way with and without the ','.
>
> Yes, but it you use it contrary to the manual page, there is no
> guarantee it will still work next week, or even tomorrow.

General Posix rules mandate the space between an option and the option
arguments.  However, applications are requested (or even required) to
tolerate a missing space in this position.

The `classic' SysV C compilers and linkers that required -Ifoo and
-Lbar without an intervening space (as well as our mkdep, and maybe
some other tools) are not Posix-conformant.

--
cheers, J"org