Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 10:47:11 -0500
From:      Peter Schwenk <schwenk@math.udel.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   XDM kookiness

Hello:

I've got xdm running on my FreeBSD 3.1-R system (and it was running on
2.2.8-R before that).  It is started with a xdm.sh script in the
/usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d directory (is there any other way to start it?).
Quite frequently, after I boot up the system and I get to the login
window, the keyboard input isn't echoed in the login window.  The
keyboard input is accepted, as I found out by telnetting in from another
system and seeing myself logged in, plus Ctrl-Alt-Delete works.
Sometimes it needs a couple reboots before the keboard input is echoed
to the screen.  The keyboard works fine.  It's a MS-Natural-layout
keyboard, and I told xf86config that.   Does anyone know what causes
this?  One more oddity (or misconfiguration on my part):  when I log in
via xdm, I don't show up in the output of the 'last' command.  Is this
because I should be running xdm a different way?  Thanks in advance for
your help.

--
PETER SCHWENK                                    |  UNIX System Administrator
Department of Mathematical Sciences              |  University of Delaware