Date:      Wed, 14 May 1997 16:22:00 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RELENG_2_2

> What happens when a user loses mail or has his/her mailbox
> trashed when there is a locking collision/race caused by
> dtmail and the local delivery agent using different locking
> methods?

We've been over this, and the feeling is that while this dysfunction
is bad, to someone who's on a disconnnected workstation and always
serializes access to the mailbox anyway (fetch mail via POP then read
it with dtmail), it's better than having dtmail simply refuse to
work at all.

> This is the real problem. Like many, I've been bitten by this
> when simply accessing a mailbox via nfs. It won't happen often,
> but it surely will.

Anyone who accesses a mailbox via NFS is living on the ragged
edge anyway. ;-)

					Jordan