Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 2002 15:12:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Todd M Kokoszka <kokostm@auburn.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pkg_* malfunctioning

Hello,

I have two problems with pkg_delete. I upgraded a version of dillo that I
had using pkg_upgrade and following this, a shared object in the elf.so
library is can't be found. I believe it's object libintl.so. Why did this
happen?

Some programs won't load because they need that shared object. If I
pkg_delete and pkg_install the programs they work fine. What can I do so
that I don't have to do this for my entire system?

2nd more egregious problem. As noted above, I had to reinstall gnucash. It
told me that python 2.2.1 wasn't installed (by install I always mean
pkg_add). I installed it and pkg_info told me that I have two versions of
it installed. I wanted to clear that up, so I iuninstalled 1. I then added
a directory in the /appropriate var directory to try and dupe pkg_delete
into thinking it could delete the 2nd one. Following this episode,
something deleted a significant number of packages on my system. I didn't
find out until rebooting that it also deleted bash which is my shell. I
can't log onto the system because the system can't find bash. Why did the
packages tools delete all these other packages and what can be done to
stop it?

Thanks,

Todd