Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 13:25:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Horwitt <horwitt@aogsquid.ucsd.edu>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   plugin,Netscape,and 1.3.1p6

I'm running FBSD 4.5-RELEASE and just built the 1.3.1p6 JDK. I'm a
complete Java neophyte and everything I know has been learned from building
the JDK and rummaging around trying to solve the issue herein. Everything
built OK and seems to be running OK except for plugin functionality with
linux-communicator 4.79.

Question 1: It seems that I need to run the linux-communicator instead
of the FreeBSD communicator since the native browser only understands a.out
and all the plugins are ELF. Is this correct? I would prefer to run the
native browser if possible.

Question 2: Since I'm using a linux browser, it seems that I also must use the
linux Java plugin, as the FreeBSD plugin built from 1.3.1p6 generates the
complaint "ELF file OS ABI invalid". Once again, is it possible to use the
native FreeBSD plugin with a Netscape browser (I am _NOT_ interested in running
Mozilla)? Maybe a tool to convert linux ELF to FBSD ELF?

Question 3: The plugin doesn't actually work to run applets. java_vm starts OK,
but it seems that the codebase attribute in the <applet> is not being
interpreted correctly. For example, trying to run the Clock demo from the JDK
generates this error in the Java console:
	java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: java.io.FileNotFoundException:
	/usr/local/java/jdk/demo/applets/Clock/example1.html/Clock2/class.class
	(Not a directory)
If I change the codebase attribute from :
    <applet codebase="." code="Clock2.class" width=170 height=150>
      alt="Your browser understands the &lt;APPLET&gt; tag but isn't running the applet, for some reason."
      Your browser is completely ignoring the &lt;APPLET&gt; tag!
</applet>

to:
    <applet codebase="/usr/local/java/jdk/demo/applets/Clock" code="Clock2.class" width=170 height=150>
      alt="Your browser understands the &lt;APPLET&gt; tag but isn't running the applet, for some reason."
      Your browser is completely ignoring the &lt;APPLET&gt; tag!
</applet>

the applet runs in the browser. Running the (original) applet from appletviewer
works fine.

When the applet fails, and JAVA_PLUGIN_TRACE is enabled, one of the outputs is:
MAV(16778478) codebaseURL = file:/usr/local/java/jdk/demo/applets/Clock/example1.html/
When it works (with the full-path codebase) the corresponding output line is:
MAV(16778478) codebaseURL = file:/usr/local/java/jdk/demo/applets/Clock/

I poked around MotifAppletViewer.java, thinking there was a simple bug in
setting the codebase path, but was quickly overwhelmed due to my Java ignorance.

I am using the green_threads java_vm. I have monkeyed with various incantations
of CLASSPATH with no apparent effect.

Is this a Netscape problem, a plugin problem, a java_vm problem, a personal
problem (eg I built the JDK incorrectly or my environment is wrong), or ???

Thanks for any help/insights/clues you can provide.

David Horwitt
Scripps Institution of Oceanography
david@aogsquid.ucsd.edu