Date:      Fri, 23 May 1997 09:36:16 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        alex@androcles.com (Duane H. Hesser)
Cc:        cat@uunet.ca, current@hub.freebsd.org, jmb@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   UU.NET, SPAM, and Cyberpromotions (was Re: usregsite.com)

> I have no specific information on that (if you do, I'd be interested
> to hear it).  Uunet is the grandaddy of ISP's, and I would, by
> reputation and past experience, expect them to behave responsibly.
> Perhaps they've grown too big, and I didn't notice?

They've stated that they no longer run a public posting host; however,
I have recently received mail from an account of theirs being used by
Cyberpromptions "mailbomber" program; headers were:

| 	(1Cust52.Max31.Chicago.IL.MS.UU.NET [153.35.113.180])
| 	by mail-gw.pacbell.net (8.8.5/8.7.1) with SMTP id EAA07399;
| 	Thu, 8 May 1997 04:09:14 -0700 (PDT)

I did report it, and haven't seen anything since after the second time
I had to report it to them; I got their canned response, so it may be
that they have taken care of this one.

I think, though, that they are still in the position where they can
be illicitly used as a mail relay.

I've been mail-bombed by Cyberpromotions for complaining to their
abuse address when they failed to remove me from the lists they sell
their customers, and theier customers refused to honor (or in some
cases provide) a working "remove" address.

Since then, for every intermediate host their program has used as a
relay to get to my host, I've made a (1 month time limited) offer of
free assistance in preventing use as a mail relay by all by approved
hosts.  I've helped 6 sites so far.

Currently, I'm working on site/IP based SPAM filtering for a mail
server product that my company has sold into tens of thousands of
installations, so if they choose the install option, Cyberpromotions
and their ilk will be blocked for new installations.  I have it on
good authority that similar changes are going into Post.Office and
the default sendmail distribution.  Serves them right for SPAMming
their transport providers.  8-).

Eventually Cyberpromotions will "get it" that sending SPAM to me is
the equivalent of severing whichever line of communication they use
to send to me, and that it's in their economic best interests to
remove my address.  Or they will sever them all... either way, I'm
happy.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org