Date:      Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:58:07 +0100
From:      Olaf Greve <o.greve@axis.nl>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware RAID support? Which controller best to use?

Hi all,

Well, the plot thickens and I have another follow-up question after all...

I relayed the information I gathered from you all, and the person in
charge indicated that he couldn't get the 9500S-4 directly from their
normal supplier.

They are somewhat pressed for installing the machine very soon, so he
asked me if I knew if the Adaptec 2410SA would also work well...

The details of this adapter can be found at:
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=AAR-2410SA&cat=%2fTechnology%2fSerial+ATA%2fSerial+ATA+RAID+Controllers

Surprise, surprise, once again FreeBSD is not mentioned on the list of
supported OSes (do people even realise it exists? :( ).

Has anyone tried this particular RAID controller, or a different Adaptec
SATA one?

I myself use Adaptec SCSI RAID controllers (the 2100S and the 2200S),
and they are both supported in the generic kernel, but then, that's SCSI...

Thanks again; if this adapter isn't any good with FreeBSD amd64 I'll
tell them, and will urge them to do their best to find a 9500S (in fact:
I'll already make sure to tell him that the list concensus is that the
9500S is preferrable).

Cheers!
Olafo