Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 01:34:35 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        David Jellison <davidjellison@hotmail.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: intrest in MIPS 10,000 CPU? support

"Crist J. Clark" wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 03:45:40PM -0800, David Jellison wrote:
> > Is there any one working an support for SGI INDIGO 2 with the
> > 10000 cpu and SolidImpact Graphics?
>
> You mean the IP28 in a "Power Indigo2 10000?"
>
>   http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/sgi/resources/ip-cpu.html
>
> I _think_ NetBSD does those,
>
>   http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/sgimips/
>
> I don't think there is much interest in FreeBSD about porting to any
> SGI hardware.

For $299 I can get a 733MHz machine with 20G of disk, 128M of
RAM, etc. etc..

I can get an Alpha for pretty cheap, but I can only stick 2G
of RAM in it because of FreeBSD limitations that are Alpha
specific.

What's the ballpark on a cheap 64 bit MIPS box?

The only reason I would go for MIPS or Itanium or other 64
bit machine would be to break the 4G of physical RAM barrier.

I think the MIPS 10000 is going to take a long time to reach
a casual hacker price point.

That said, there is apparently an unmerged FreeBSD MIPS port
that boots multiuser; this was reported on at the BSDCon.  It
looks to be a difficult merge to get it in the tree, and I'm
not sure if it's 32 bit or 64 bit (I think it may be 32, but
there are some 64 bit embedded systems, like SIBytes, so I
could be wrong on that).

You should contact the people involved on the correct mailing
list, if you are interested in helping with the peeing on the
code to make it smell like FreeBSD.

-- Terry