Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 1995 16:21:39 -0500
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   -O6/-fstrength-reduce for kernel (Was: Re: changes in -current...)

<<On Fri, 1 Dec 1995 14:20:39 -0500 (EST), "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> said:

> 	Also, someone mentioned using -fno-strength-reduce?  If I
> used that, with -O6, would I notice any benefits, or does using
> -fno-strength-reduce just about take out any benefits to -O6?

Your Mileage May Vary.

In the testing I was doing last month on packet send and forwarding
rates, I found that using any sort of optimization beyond the default
`-O' resulted in a repeatable 1-3% /decrease/ in maximum packet rate.
The same was true of `-m486'.  I'll be interested to see the results
if the Pentium enhancements are ever integrated into the main gcc
line.

I suspect there may be some funny cache effects going on, but it's
next to impossible to tell.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.