Date:      18 Dec 2001 11:40:38 -0600
From:      Ryan Dooley <dooleyr@missouri.edu>
To:        hawkeyd@visi.com
Cc:        dreyenga@telus.net, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Instead of JFS, why not a whole new FS?

--=-rDuHo358zTGm28ixbbGU

=20
> UFS/FFS is/are proven through time. Throw in the softupdates technology,
> and you have the upside of journalling, without the downside of journalli=
ng.
> No. I'm not going into details, first because I'm not qualified, and seco=
nd,
> others already have.

I think the bottom line to this whole thread is most folks out there
want a quick recovery (i.e., fast fsck's for large volumes). =20

I'm one of those folks who's gotten used to {XFS, JFS, EXT3, ReiserFS,
AdvFS, etc.}.  Sure, journaling has it's issues (and I'm no expert), but
still having to wait for a fsck is a pain on large volumes, where as
waiting X number of seconds for a journal log replay is much easier to
contend with. =20

I've got a 891GB volume that's about 20% full, that takes 90 minutes or
so to fsck (and that's on a fiber channel, hardware RAID1+0 array).  I'm
glad softupdates ensure the integrity of my data, but the wait is killer
in this production system :-)

> The one thing that journalling FSes deliver that FFS with softupdates doe=
sn't
> right now is a 'fsck'less boot after an uncontrolled shutdown. I have rea=
> that the Project has this on their TODO list.

Yep... that's it exactly.  I can't wait for 5.x (or fsck -B to be MFC'd
from -CURRENT :-)

Cheers,
	Ryan

--=-rDuHo358zTGm28ixbbGU