Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 2001 09:23:10 -0600
From:      Eric_Stanfield@kenokozie.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Antisniffer measures (digest of posts)

Or, for the umpteenth time, take this never-ending, waste of time
conversation to a forum where it belongs.

Eric Stanfield, K2Access
Keno Kozie and Associates
222 N LaSalle #1500
Chicago, IL 60606
(312) 332-3000

                    Mikhail Kruk
                    <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>         To:     Darren Henderson <darren@nighttide.net>
                    Sent by:                         cc:     Artem Koutchine <matrix@ipform.ru>, <security@FreeBSD.ORG>,
                    owner-freebsd-questions@F        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
                    reeBSD.ORG                       Subject:     Re: Antisniffer measures (digest of posts)

                    01/08/01 09:01 AM

> > So, as I see we two possible solutions and one probable soultion:
>
> You missed one. If these machines are on your lan/wan then the users are
> somehow beholding to you. While not a technical solution, you should not
> over look a strong, easily understandable, clearly exposed, widely and
> repeatedly disseminated security policy paired with swift and decisive
> administrative consequences for breaching that policy.

agree. Make it the policy that the first one caught doing something
illegal pays for the switches. That should do it. ;)
But another 'social' aspect to it no one mentioned so far is that most
probably people would hack system at their work only if they are not
satisfied with the administrators. Try to be nice to people, do not assume
they all want to screw up the system and give them some privliges --
that will make hacking unnecessary for them.