Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2013 12:31:54 -0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Zbigniew Bodek <zbb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: R-PI fixes for dhclient/sshd?
References:  <CAJ-Vmok_r5gPBQ=dTXzD7tu2gfurYyB8SUCRYahDJh04Nf8R5A@mail.gmail.com> <05740C4C-4B02-4567-9E46-E739ECEDA797@bsdimp.com> <CAJ-VmomON2VOGqzFX23HSishW_KLJUMLHUePEfQHL9FKYXnXUQ@mail.gmail.com> <CALF_TxkJqq3QsxBSMLedbTRk2v0p7-%2BPY%2BC7ZSpgRQnrNeYYiA@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ-VmokT71aiHGmAbb0k9HZq_14xkJE=bHuV2LvqbdWKUSTXOg@mail.gmail.com> <CALF_Txkq-srswBJSzrLDa%2Bkwf96tFZjZaRZPUwmWN1bRewQ64Q@mail.gmail.com>

On 20 December 2013 12:24, Zbigniew Bodek <zbb@freebsd.org> wrote:

>> Thanks for the update.
>>
>> What would be the harm in reverting the patch?
>>
>> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/arm/arm/pmap-v6.c?r1=251370&r2=252694&pathrev=252694
>>

> Hello again.
>
> I guess it should be some performance impact since we will need to
> write all pages marked as RW to backing
> storage on page-out. This is regardless of its actual dirty state (no
> modified emulation).
> But this was how it behaved earlier and nothing bad happened so it
> might be worth to temporary revert it and
> debug the problem without the negative influence on the users. After
> proper fix we should apply it again.
>
> It's up to you. I have no objections to that (I have few other patches
> that need to wait for pmap problems
> resolution anyway like pmap_copy() + SP).

Ok.

ARM people - does anyone see any particular problems reverting this
patch for now so the armv6 stuff is usable?

It's likely worth filing a PR for this with the very relevant
information for the bug, so I'll go and do that now.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

-adrian