Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:09:15 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   oh gawd!  who's doing this?

I had recently posted a new URL for one of my websites and went to
check to see how much traffic it was generating, so I did this:

$ tail -f access.log

What I saw was entries like this appearing over and over again (URLs
changed to protect the stupid):

"GET /adsl/2000_11/0051.html HTTP/1.0" 200 8443
"http://example.org.org/adsl/2000_11/" "htdig/3.1.5 (dan@langille.org)"

They were coming through, a different URL request each time, at the
rate of about 2 per second.

FAWK!

Then I recogized the requesting IP address.  It was me.  I was running
htdig over the web server and from the webserver.  I was indexing the
website....

DOH.

[note to self: eat breakfast before checking logs]

--
Dan Langille
pgpkey - finger dan@unixathome.org | http://unixathome.org/finger.php