Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 1996 02:50:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      cbooth@onyx.interactive.net (Christopher J. Booth)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Booting to FreeBSD; Again, but Not the Same

I have recently installed a 2nd hard drve, which is dedicated to FreeBSD.

The old hard drive is Master on IDE drive 1; the cdrom is slave on the 1st
IDE drive. The new hard drive is jumpered as "single" on the 2nd IDE drive.
I can now install from the CD-ROM, and in fact have. I am using LILO to
boot to Linux and DOS on hard drive 1, and it it is succesful.

What I can not do is boot to FreeBSD.

Using LILO as my boot manager, I key in "bsd" at boot time, and the FreeBSD
boot process begins. Then after a few minutes I receive this message:

panic: cannot mount root

and then it automatically reboots.

Root is the first partition after the MBR. How can I take the next step and
get FreeBSD to completely boot?

Thank you, all.

Chris Booth

Christopher J. Booth   This speech of yours hath moved me,
cbooth@mordor.com      And shall perchance do good: but speak you on;
                       You look as you had something more to say.
                                                --Edmund, _King Lear_