Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2001 20:55:13 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        James McNaughton <jtm63@enteract.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dhclient: Odd errors - New exploit?

Do you happen to have a 3Com Sharkfin cable modem?

What you describe is what happens when the cable link is down when one
tries to renew the lease. The cable modem makes one of its own. Go
check /var/db/dhclient.leases and see if the 192.168.100 leases were
for 60 seconds?

Have not figured out why but when this happens sometimes dhclient does
not repair the default route when the cable comes back up.

James McNaughton writes:
> Howdy,
>
> I noticed an odd error on the console from arp and in tracking down
> the source discovered it was related to DHCP and dhclient. I found a
> bunch of errors logged from dhclient as follows:
>
> Jul 24 09:30:49 jamestown dhclient: New IP Address(ep0): 192.168.100.18
> Jul 24 09:30:49 jamestown dhclient: New Subnet Mask (ep0): 255.255.255.192
[...]

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net