Date:      Mon, 9 May 2011 17:11:57 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie Needing Help

On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 03:44:57PM -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> >> There's also ee in the base system, which is good enough for editing
> >> configuration files, and is much easier for a casual user. The benefits
> >> of vi and emacs are mostly for developers.
> >
> > It's not just for software development.  I use Vim for writing code, but
> > I also use it for writing in English -- professional work on articles,
> > development of traditional (non-computer) RPG systems, fiction,
> > configuration files, notes to myself, and composing emails (including
> > this one).
> >
> > --
>
> I have seen vi vs emacs, kde vs gnome, but vim is different from vi correct?
> It is dfferent from system to system.  There are like different versions
> vi and vim is vi improved right?

I was always told that vim is a more 'friendly' version of vi, but
I never bothered to learn vim to find out.  vi was easy enough.

Anyway, the two biggest reasons to at least become comfortable using vi
are:  that it is everywhere.  When you are doing sysadmin stuff, you
may need to use it, even if your most used editor is something else.
and that vi doesn't put any junk in the file like some formatting text
editors do.

An easy to learn table of vi information is at:

  http://z2.cl.msu.edu/~jerrymc/project/editvi/

////jerry

> By the way, I remember a quote:

> Hello.  My $NAME is ~inigo-montoya.  You killed my process.  Prepare
> to vi.  --The Unix's Bride

Cute.