Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2007 15:02:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Drew Jenkins <drewjenkinsjr@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Corrupted OS

Thanks! That's great!
Here's why the OS is corrupt:
1) Suddenly, large data files which were on the 500 GB HD were wiped. I hadn't been working in anything associated with them for some time before that. They just disappeared. This is exactly what happened before on the old server, but then I had done something to damage it (entered a bad command).
2) Now, as then, quirky things are happening, forcing me to do work-arounds when none should be done, or to abandon projects I'd like to do. For example, I copied a MySQL database as another dbase with another name, wiped all the data from the new dbase, and copied a shopping cart app I've built in Zope to a new site I'm building. I entered new categories into the new dbase. However, when I surf to my interface in the new Zope site I'm building, the old cats appear! There's no connection whatsoever. Even the background color of the display pages is picked up from the old site, goodness knows how. If I use the Zope interface to enter data into the products table, it works, but with the old cats. If I enter data into that table through MySQL, it displays in the new Zope site. I had to hard-wire the new cats to get it to work. I still don't know why the bgcolor for the page is the same as the old site, either.

This kind of crap happens over and over again, and I have no explanation.2 Last time, it screwed up my clients' email, something I'm loathe to do. Eventually, the whole system died on me.
TIA,
Drew

Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu> wrote: On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 01:33:42PM -0700, Drew Jenkins wrote:

> I believe you misunderstand. I have 3 disks:
> 2 are SCSI RAID and are 80 GB each
> 1 is not and is 500 GB
> I don't actually need the 500 GB now. I haven't even used up the 80 GB HD's.
> So I can wipe the 500 GB clean. I don't have to keep data on it at all.
> But...can I do that remotely, and run those commands remotely, with that
> disk being unmounted, and if so...how?

You can do it remotely.   Once everything on that disk is unmounted
and unreferenced, then fdisk and bsdlabel will be happy to work on it.

The best documentation for that is down in the examples of
the bsdlabel man page.

           dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0 bs=512 count=32
           fdisk -BI da0
           dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0s1 bs=512 count=32
           bsdlabel -w -B da0s1
           bsdlabel -e da0s1

Change the device names to be what yours really are (da0 may be ad3
or something.   I also upped the count on the dd, but it doesn't matter.

Follow this with a newfs for each partition except swap that you
create on this disk.

> The problem *is* a corrupt OS. I currently don't have any data on
> that 500 GB HD. And the problems persist. Sorry to have confused you.
> Are things clearer now?

Well, it seems clear that there is no problem with the 500 GB disk.
You can just fdisk it.   If you want, write a few blocks of zeros to
it first to make sure the system believes it clean if you want.  Probably
shouldn't need to, though.
  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/extra-drive-name bs=512 count=250

As for the corrupt OS, I don't understand what that is and why
you think that or whatever.

////jerry