Date:      Sun, 5 Jan 1997 22:55:52 +1100
From:      davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
To:        hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca (Tim Vanderhoek)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com ("Jordan K. Hubbard"), chat@freebsd.org (FraFreeBSd Chat list)
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD documentation

Agreed. In fact, I thought I said something similar. :)

> I always thought the reason a linuxdoc guide was missing was because it
> was only a temporary in-between until docbook replaced it.

No idea.

> That said, one must admit that docbook is more complicated
> than linuxdoc...  My .tar.gz file of docbook documentation
> is 500k.  It's considerably more when decompressed (say 2.6MB
> more).  And I think its dtd eclipses 100k.

OTOH, the most useful subset is about as "complex" as linuxdoc -
the problem is sorting out exactly what that is. :-) Sometimes
too much documentation can get you buried and be just as
frustrating as too little, even if there is a little more hope
of seeing the light eventually. Having some examples to go with
helps a great deal.

I'm no sgml expert, but I've managed a few basic docs and one
sizeable one using docbook in the last couple of months. I'm
obviously using just a fraction of its capability, however,
even if I've managed to work out some things which I couldn't
figure at all with linuxdoc.

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/