Date:      Sun, 02 Nov 2003 21:12:13 -0800
From:      Aditya <aditya@grot.org>
To:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@freebsd.org>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: workaround to run Diablo at 5.x

> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 12:24:48 +0300, Alexey Zelkin <phantom@freebsd.org> said:
> After few expirements with running of my own compiled jdk I can
> suggest workaround to those who need to run Diablo at -CURRENT.
>
> Following actions need to be done at -CURRENT machine.
>
> 1. install compat4.i386 2. copy /usr/lib/libm.so.2 from -STABLE
> machine to /usr/lib/compat/ at -CURRENT machine 3. Before executing
> of java binary make sure that you've set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
> '/usr/lib/compat' value.

Following your instructions, I installed the package named:

  compat4x-i386-5.0.20030328

on a machine running:

  FreeBSD hilbert.grot.org 5.1-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT #4: Sun Oct  5 20:26:02 PDT 2003     root@hilbert.grot.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HILBERT  i386

and copied /usr/lib/libm.so.2 from a machine running:

  FreeBSD mighty.grot.org 4.8-STABLE FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE #0: Mon Apr  7 10:33:16 PDT 2003     aditya@mighty.grot.org:/backup/obj/trunk/src/sys/MIGHTY  i386

and running java -version yields a bus error:

  pid 967 (java), uid 515: exited on signal 10

What is going wrong?

Thanks,
Adi