Date:      02 Apr 2000 18:11:22 +0200
From:      assar@stacken.kth.se
To:        Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Once more: Arla

On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, Brandon Fosdick wrote:
> Okay, it builds, it installs, but it just won't work. What am I doing
> wrong? When I run startarla it tells me that /dev/xfs0 doesn't exist. So
> i run xfs_makedev which doesnt work.

xfs_makedev is made to be called from modload/kldload, if you just run
`xfs_makedev' it won't work.

> Then I tried making the device node
> myself with mknod /dev/xfs0 c 3 0.

Where did you get `3' from?  That's probably not the correct major
device number.  It should have gotten printed when the kld was loaded
(and it's typically 128).

> Now I get "device not configured".

That's probably because it's using the wrong device major number.

Can you try removing /dev/xfs0, make-deving it again with the number
that got printed on the console and syslog when you loaded the KLD and
telling us what happened then?  And what major number you got.

I'm sorry for the startarla script currently not working as
automatically as we would like it to.  This is due to a number of
reasons and I'll make it better.

/assar