Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 17:11:42 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
Cc:        bf20761@binghamton.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wrong comment in pmap_bootstrap() about virtual_avail?

>> In file i386/pmap.c, routine pmap_bootstrap(), I find the following
>> comment:
>>
>> "XXX  The calculation of virtual_avail is wrong.  It's NKPT*PAGE_SIZE too
>> large.  It should be instead be correctly calculated in locore.s and not
>> based on 'first'(which is a physical address, not a virtual address, for
>> the start of unused physical memory)..."

   I wrote the comment. The word "wrong" above doesn't mean that it is wrong
in the sense that there is a bug in the code. It means only that, from an
architectural perspective, it should represent the actual start of the
kernel VM (after the kernel text/data/bss), and instead means something
slightly different.
   I can't help but wonder why you are looking at this code fragment...it
is highly esoteric for most anyone who intends to do development in the
FreeBSD kernel.

-DG

David Greenman