Date:      Tue, 05 Feb 2013 23:38:28 -0500
From:      "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD-9.1 would not boot on pentium3 laptop

Hello!

I have an old Dell Latitude C800 laptop (with Pentium3 CPU in it).
FreeBSD 6.3-STABLE was running fine on it, but I decided to update the
machine to 9.1-STABLE.

Well, neither my own custom kernel, nor even the official 9.1-RELEASE
CD1 would boot... In both cases the boot process runs up to detecting
uhub0, then either hangs forever or shuts off after a short while.

Again, I thought I screwed-up the build, but the official CD would not
boot either, so here I am.

Flipping through the old CDs I have, the 7.3 hangs at boot similarly
(after reporting loading the memory image and warning me about
"dangerously low battery"). The 3.2-STABLE (September 1999) boots fine
-- and goes into sysinstall.

Freesbie-2.0.1 (which is based on FreeBSD-6.2) booted too.

What happened between 6.x and 7.x? Any ideas? Thanks!

    -mi