Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 14:24:50 -0400
From:      "David S. Jackson" <deepbsd@earthlink.net>
To:        Lee <lee@unassemble.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Command History & Keyboard Setup

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 09:02:16PM +0100 Lee <lee@unassemble.co.uk> wrote:
> Also when I am logged in as a normal user I am unable to use the up /
> down cursor keys to navigate the command history, even though this
> does work when logged in as root.

As a normal user, go

$ echo $SHELL

If you see /bin/sh then you're using the original bourne shell which
does not support history.  I would recommend you use bash, which is in
the ports directory or in package form on your CD-ROM or nearest FreeBSD
mirror.

Once you get bash installed (/usr/local/bin/bash), go

$ chsh /usr/local/bin/bash

and that should give you what you're used to, unless you're more used to
a csh/tcsh/ksh/zsh type of environment...

HTH!

--
David S. Jackson                        dsj@dsj.net