Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 2021 11:03:34 -0700
From:      Chris <portmaster@bsdforge.com>
To:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   When will git be supported for ports?

Hi all,
Maintainer for some ~160 ports, and attempting to fix some
bugs. But as I understand it 'git' is supposed to be the new
source of truth. While I know svn by heart. I have near zero
understanding of git, or for that matter, why anyone would
rather use it. That said; as I try to discover the new
procedures for maintaining ports under git. I see there isn't
anything in the porters-handbook regarding the acquisition
of the ports tree in order to get started. Shouldn't this be
at the very beginning of the ports doc? The closest thing I
could find was a reference to a link: #ports-using/ in the
Handbook. Which doesn't exist. It *should* throw a 404. But
was cleverly masked, and simply returns the front page. This
is a terrible idea. As the doc maintainers will never know
they need to make corrections, and new users with a new
interest in FreeBSD will become frustrated and turn away.
Maintainers, like me, utilizing what little time they have
to spare will also become frustrated and likely find that
they now only have the time to discover where the actual
information is. With no more time to actually *fix* the port
they sought to. While I realize this should probably be sent
to docs@ I'm not on the list, and because this is ports
related. I hope it finds value here as well.

Thanks for listening.

--Chris