Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 2017 11:12:34 +0200
From:      Jan Beich <jbeich@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <lists@opsec.eu>
Cc:        Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FireFox memory usage

Kurt Jaeger <lists@opsec.eu> writes:

> Hi!
>
>> Since a few days my 4GiB desktop is crawling due to swap usage and
>> looking at top, I see FireFox using almost 7GiB of RAM (SIZE column),
>> 2.5 of which are "RES".
>
> Firefox memory usage grows without bounds, depending on the
> websites you visit. I do not close my browser, it sometimes
> runs for several months. It can easily consume 5-7 GB with
> approx. 50 open browser windows.

Maybe check if Firefox 57 (see bug 222693) improves memory usage to rule
out legacy extensions with layers of e10s compatibility shims.

> That's an issue the mozilla foundation should work on...

Neither Mozilla Foundation nor FreeBSD Foundation directly support
Firefox on FreeBSD. However, even with only volunteers things get fixed
sometimes as long as someone files a bug.