Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 11:31:51 -0700
From:      David McNab <mcnab@bayarea.net>
To:        tdl@widomaker.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound board question

Troy wrote:
|OK, I know very little about sounds boards, looking at the FAQ and the
|prices of the boards I have narrowed it down to either a Gravis Ultrasound
|-or- a SoundBlaster 32.

     Here's an option you might want to consider.  Buy
a plain old SoundBlaster 16.  It's cheap and compatible
with /everything/, and unless you buy the lame "value"
edition it has a daughterboard connector that allows
you to attach a wave table card (like the very fine
Roland SCD-15 -- I think that's the model number).

     This way, you end up paying a little more, but you
get guaranteed SB-16 compatibility and the option to
upgrade to wave table synthesis that's superior to the
AWE/32.  (At least according to the reports I've read
on the net.)

  -- Dave McNab