Date:      Sun, 29 Apr 2018 10:54:09 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Olivier <Olivier.Nicole@cs.ait.ac.th>
Cc:        "Frank Leonhardt \(m\)" <frank2@fjl.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backing up to tape

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 17:32:28 +0700, Olivier wrote:
> "Frank Leonhardt (m)" <frank2@fjl.co.uk> writes:
> > I'll need a utility to save/restore ZFS datasets that are larger
> > than one tape if anyone knows of one. Otherwise I'll be writing
> > one, if anyone is interested.
>
> While it should not be too difficult to design such a utility, you have
> to consider that each time you will want to access any data on the tar,
> you will have to stream through all the tapes, because tar format does
> not allow you to start with the tape 5 even if you know that the file
> you are looking for is not on the first 4 tapes.

In this case, pax is a convenient tool to deal with
multi-volume archives. It is part of the default OS
installation, of course. See "man pax" for details.

> It would be much better to split the data you want to tar, to have one
> set of data filling almost one tape.

Splitting the data beforehand probably is the best
way to deal with tar archives on tape. Maintaing a
"tape catalog" (usually automated) is a nice addition.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany