Date:      Mon, 3 Mar 2014 10:22:48 +0000
From:      Andy D'Arcy Jewell <andydj@icritical.com>
To:        <freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Is it feasible to run HAST with only ONE node long-term

Hi,

Can I run a HAST MASTER without a SLAVE indefinitely without
problems?

We have a beta system I set up on FreeBSD 9-RELEASE with
HAST/uCARP for redundancy. For reasons beyond my control, I now need to
remove the standby to recover the rack space it uses, but we need to
continue to run the system for at least a while, without redundancy.
It's far from ideal, I know.

There is close to zero prospect of reviving the redundancy later on.

Obviously for short periods of time, running without a slave is fine
(kind of "in the spec" really).

My main worry is that HAST performance might suffer as the delta grows
between the master and it's long-lost slave; does the master
consume extra resources (memory, disk) "saving up" the replication
stream objects, or does it just rely on a time/version stamp so when
(in normal operation) the slave gets back in contact with the master,
it knows to do a full sync?

I'd rather not have to remove the HAST layer, as this is obviously
invasive and time-consuming.

Regards,
-Andy D'Arcy Jewell
iCritical is a brand of Critical Software Ltd.
Registered in England & Wales: 04909220.
Registered Office: IC2, Keele Science Park, Keele, Staffordshire, ST5 5NH.

This message has been scanned for security threats by iCritical.

The information contained in this message is confidential and intended for the addressee only.
If you have received this message in error, or there are any problems with its content, please
contact the sender.