Date:      Sat, 20 May 2006 09:08:42 -0700
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting up NIS questions?

On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 05:55:22PM -0500, Derek Ragona wrote:
> At 05:48 PM 5/19/2006, Steve Kargl wrote:
>>I have 2 NICS in the master node of a small cluster.
>>bge0 is connected to the outside world with a FQDN
>>and registered DNS IP address.  bge1 is connected to
>>a 192.168.0.x internal network.  I'm trying to configure
>>NIS for the internal network, but ypinit is grabbing the
>>FQDN.  I've read the Handbook and ypinit manual page
>>without too much enlightment. :(
>>
>>What I'm after is
>>
>>192.168.0.10      NIS master server
>>192.168.0.11      NIS slave server
>>192.168.0.[12-15] NIS clients
>>
>>Anyone have a pointer to a method to achieve my goals.
>>

> If memory serves YP will grab the first interface.  If you switch the
> stacks/IPs on the interfaces I think you will get what you want.

I can't even get NIS set up with ypinit.  It unconditionally
uses /bin/hostname, which will grab the FQDN of the system.
You have given me an idea.  I can change rc.conf to set hostname
to the name I've given 192.168.0.10, put that on bge0, put
the IP address associated with the FQDN on bge1, and reboot.
This might permit NIS to come up.  Though this seems like a hack,
because when someone connects to the seem via the FQDN,
/bin/hostname will give the wrong answer.

--
Steve