Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 17:27:54 -0700
From:      "L. Peter Deutsch" <ghost@aladdin.com>
To:        mi@aldan.algebra.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, andreas@freebsd.org, raph@artofcode.com
Subject:   Re: GhostScript and JPEG

> Khmm, was this ever suggested to the libjpeg maintainers?

Yes.  Their opinion is reflected in the following comment in jpeglib.h:

/* Unfortunately, some bozo at Adobe saw no reason to be bound by the standard;
 * the PostScript DCT filter can emit files with many more than 10 blocks/MCU.
 * If you happen to run across such a file, you can up D_MAX_BLOCKS_IN_MCU
 * to handle it.  We even let you do this from the jconfig.h file.  However,
 * we strongly discourage changing C_MAX_BLOCKS_IN_MCU; just because Adobe
 * sometimes emits noncompliant files doesn't mean you should too.
 */
#define C_MAX_BLOCKS_IN_MCU   10 /* compressor's limit on blocks per MCU */
#ifndef D_MAX_BLOCKS_IN_MCU
#define D_MAX_BLOCKS_IN_MCU   10 /* decompressor's limit on blocks per MCU */
#endif

--

L. Peter Deutsch     |    Aladdin Enterprises   |  203 Santa Margarita Ave.
ghost@aladdin.com    |  http://www.aladdin.com  |  Menlo Park, CA 94025

	The future of software is at http://www.opensource.org