Date:      Fri, 02 Jan 2004 13:25:52 -0500
From:      Beric Farmer <bfarmer@xe.com>
To:        Daniel Ortiz <d.ortiz@in.ilimit.es>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: atacontrol/udma

--On January 02, 2004 12:41 +0100 Daniel Ortiz <d.ortiz@in.ilimit.es>
wrote:

> The question is: How I can set the transfer to any other UDMA?
> FreeBSD detects ther hardware but I can't use that features without
> ATAng? Any patch/solution/idea?

My understanding is that 4.x doesn't have support for SATA.
Evidently, the developers have been focusing on 5.x, and the
necessary changes are non-trivial and not straightforward to apply to
4.x.

>From what I've read, you'll need to use 5.x in order to get support
for your SATA drives.

I ran into this problem under 4.9-RELEASE.  As a test, I booted from
the 5.1-RELEASE CD and the SATA drives were properly detected, and
not downgraded to UDMA33.

I've sort of been waiting for the official word that 5.x is ready for
production usage before I run with it (the documentation still
recommends that "conservative users" not upgrade).

Hope this helps.

Beric