Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 15:55:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@speakeasy.org>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world failed

> > The makeworld.html page has side notes for 2.2.5, but nothing for the
> > current and stable versions.  It just makes sense to me that any important
> > changes would be reflect on that page.  Afterall, it is the official
> > FreeBSD handbook while the mailing list may not offer accurate help.
>
> 	Your logic is flawed.

Sorry to jump in in the middle of this thread, but I must agree with
Brennan that FreeBSD's online documentation is woefully incomplete.  A
person upgrading from 3.x to 4.0-release shouldn't have to subscribe to a
mailing list.
Let me use www.perl.apache.org as an example.  You will not find more
complete and detailed documentation anywhere.  There is more information on
how to use mod_perl with apache on that site than there is information for
the entire FreeBSD operating system anywhere 8(.
I'd like to see the FreeBSD handbook achieve that level of quality and
detail.  At that point, I think the flames people get for not reading the
docs would make more sense.
I'd be glad to help in this area, as I'm a very good writer.  Can someone
point me in the right direction?