Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 1998 23:05:45 -0400
From:      Danny Dulai <nirva@ishiboo.com>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Subject:   Re: X-10 Mouse Remote patch

> Then, if you run two copies of moused, you get
>
>         Std Mouse    -> COM1 -> moused -
>                                         \
>                                          -> /dev/sysmouse -> X/syscons
>                                         /
>         Mouse Remote -> COM2 -> moused -
>                                         \-> /var/run/MouseRemote
>
> If you move the standard mouse and mouse part of Mouse Remote, you
> will see "combined" motion of the mouse pointer on screen. However,
> mouse events from the standard mouse and the Mouse Remote are NOT
> messed up, because events from two devices are interpreted
> independently by the two copies of moused.
>
> Apart from possible RF interference, there is a case you may think
> your mouse pointer is jumpy.  You may perceive the above "combined"
> motion as "jumpy", because you think the mouse pointer has moved when
> you don't touch the mouse, but, in fact, you may have touched or moved
> the other device accidentally.
>
> Kazu

This is how I run moused. Not running "Std Mouse" via moused kinda defeats
the purpose of moused. If I wanted to use both the normal mouse and the
mouse built into my laptop, I _must_ run moused with my "Std Mouse" as
well as my latop's builtin mouse.

Maybe what we should have is a way to turn off the mouse portion of the
remote in moused. But a mouseoff option in moused seems very silly :)

Sooo.........

It seems to make more sense to have a remoted that will multiplex mouse
events to something you can run moused on, and then send other stuff to
/var/run/MouseRemote.  Then the user can just choose not to run another
moused on the socket/device that remoted redirects mouse events to.

Then you would have:

 Std Mouse    -> COM1 -> moused ->
                                  \
                                   >-+-> /dev/sysmouse -> X/syscons
                                  /  |
 Laptop Mouse -> PS/2 -> moused ->   |
                                     |        /- this is the optional moused
                                     ^        |
                                     \----<- moused --<----\

				   -> /var/run/RemoteMouse -/
				  /
 Mouse Remote -> COM2 -> remoted ->
                                  \
                                   -> /var/run/X10Remote -> remotemanager

If you wanted more remotes, you can just have them add to /var/run/X10Remote
(remoted can do the same for remotes that it does for moused). This also
makes it possible to ignore the mouse portions of the remote very easy
(just don't run a moused on it!). If we wanted, remoted could support
multiple types of remotes in the future and convert the protocols to the
x10 remote, just like moused turns all mouse protocols into MouseSystems.
Also, moused doesnt need to be littered with non mice code if its done
this way. I'm sure it would make Søren happy :-)

Comments?