Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 10:41:28 +1200
From:      Dave Preece <dave.preece@kbgroup.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   IP checksum offloading with intel 82559 fast ethernet.

Apparently (http://developer.intel.com/design/network/82559.htm) the i82559
can offload TCP and UDP checksums. A quick peruse of
/usr/src/sys/pci/if_fxp.c shows we are not currently using this - which is
fair enough since the driver also has to work with 82557 and 82558.

It strikes me that due to the driver architecture (i.e. the IP packet is
formed way before it gets to ip_fxp) that we couldn't use this facility -
even if it does have some potentially excellent throughput implications.
Maybe there's a possibility for treating it as an IP accelerating
'co-processor' (much as the early power vr 3d accelerators did).

Any comments? Anyone working on this? Maybe I had better learn to write
drivers ;)

Dave