Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:06:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        david.somayajulu@qlogic.com
Cc:        freebsd-drivers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: dev/ixgb and dev/ixgbe

In message: <75E1A2A7D185F841A975979B0906BBA671F9B39870@AVEXMB1.qlogic.org>
            David Somayajulu <david.somayajulu@qlogic.com> writes:
: I would really appreciate if someone can help me understand the
: difference between the above drivers from Intel. Is one of them for
: older hardware ?

>From their respective man pages:

ixgb:
     The ixgb driver provides support for PCI Gigabit Ethernet adapters based
     on the Intel 82597EX Ethernet controller chips.  The driver supports
     Transmit/Receive checksum offload and Jumbo Frames.

ixgbe:
     The ixgbe driver provides support for PCI 10Gb Ethernet adapters based on
     the Intel 82598EB Intel(R) Network Connections.  The driver supports
     Jumbo Frames, MSIX, TSO, and RSS.

Warner