Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 13:05:49 -0700
From:      Catherine Liao <catz@stanford.edu>
To:        xpert@XFree86.Org
Subject:   dell c400 w/ i830m on freebsd w/ xfree86 4.2.1 using the vesa driver

Hi there,

I've spent the last two days trying to get X to run on my new Dell C400 laptop
w/ FreeBSD. I was successful in getting X to start in 1024x768x8, but not
higher. I've read that others have been able to get 1024x768x24, and I hope
someone on this list might be able to help me out.

My xf86config:
http://catacus.com/~catz/docs/help/vesa_xf86config
Log:
http://catacus.com/~catz/docs/help/XFree86.0_log

I did notice this entry in the log file:
Total Memory: 13 64Kb banks (0M)

What do I need to do to get X to see more memory? I've patched both i810_drv.o &
agpreg.h w/ the i810diff & i810diff-2 patches.

Here's the output from dmesg:
http://catacus.com/~catz/docs/help/dmesg

What am I missing? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

-Catherine Liao
Sr. Systems Administrator
IRT, School of Medicine
Stanford University