Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 2003 21:09:01 -0400
From:      "Michael W. Oliver" <michael@gargantuan.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Multipath Routing

--Boundary-02=_42bK/6Dg7+w4lg7

[this was posted under another thread, so I am reposting as a new thread to=
=20
hopefully generate some responses.  thanks.]

I am no programmer, so forgive my ignorance in that respect, but why can't =
a=20
metric be used to differentiate routes to the same destination network=20
within the routing table?  I happened to be googling and found:

http://daily.daemonnews.org/view_story.php3?story_id=3D3878

which describes a patch to -STABLE that does exactly what I am talking=20
about.

Is there any reason why this shouldn't be implemented by default in the OS?=
 =20
I am not being critical of the FreeBSD operating system by any means, just=
=20
curious.

Personally, I would very much like the ability of Zebra to feed the kernel=
=20
the same route via multiple gateways, differentiating those routes by=20
metric value.

Comments?

=2D-=20
|       Michael W. Oliver, CCNP       | "The tree of liberty must be |
|         IPv6 & FreeBSD mark         | refreshed from time to time  |
|       michael@gargantuan.com        | with the blood of patriots   |
|   http://michael.gargantuan.com/    | and tyrants."                |
|  ASpath-tree, Looking Glass, etc.   | - President Thomas Jefferson |
|      gpg key - http://michael.gargantuan.com/gnupg/pubkey.asc      |

--Boundary-02=_42bK/6Dg7+w4lg7

--Boundary-02=_42bK/6Dg7+w4lg7--