Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2018 14:26:51 +0300
From:      Toomas Soome <tsoome@me.com>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartmann@walstatt.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [UEFI] Boot issues on some UEFI implementations

> On 13 Jul 2018, at 14:00, O. Hartmann <ohartmann@walstatt.org> wrote:
>=20
> The problem is some kind of weird. I face UEFI boot problems on GPT =
drives
> where the first partition begins at block 40 of the hdd/ssd.
>=20
> I have two host in private use based on an
> outdated ASRock Z77-Pro4-M and Z77-Pro4 mainboard (IvyBridge, Socket =
LGA1155).
> Both boards are equipted with the lates official available AMI =
firmware
> revision, dating to 2013. This is for the Z77-Pro4-M revision 2.0 =
(2013/7/23)
> and for the Z77 Pro4 revision 1.8 (2013/7/17). For both boards a BETA =
revision
> for the Spectre/Meltdown mitigation is available, but I didn't test =
that. But
> please read.
>=20
> The third box I realised this problem is a brand new Fujitsu Esprimo =
Q956, also
> AMI firmware, at V5.0.0.11 R 1.26.0 for 3413-A1x, date 05/25/2018 (or =
20180525).
>=20
> Installing on any kind of HDD or SSD manually or via bsdinstall the OS =
using
> UEFI-only boot method on a GPT partitioned device fails. The ASRock =
boards jump
> immediately into the firmware, the Fujitsu offers some kind of =
CPU/Memory/HDD
> test facility.
>=20
> If on both type of vendor/boards CSM is disabled and UEFI boot only is =
implied,
> the MBR partitioned FreeBSD installation USB flash device does boot in =
UEFI! I
> guess I can assume this when the well known clumsy 80x25 char console =
suddenly
> gets bright and shiny with a much higher resoltion as long the GPU =
supports
> EFI GOP. Looking with gpart at the USB flash drives reveals that the =
EFI
> partition starts at block 1 of the device and the device has a MBR =
layout. I
> haven't found a way to force the GPT scheme, when initialised via =
gpart, to let
> the partitions start at block 1. This might be a naiv thinking, so =
please be
> patient with me.
>=20
> I do not know whether this is a well-known issue. On the ASRock =
boards, I
> tried years ago some LinuxRed Hat and Suse with UEFI and that worked - =
FreeBSD
> not. I gave up on that that time. Now, having the very same issues =
with a new
> Fujitsu system, leaves me with the impression that FreeBSD's UEFI
> implementation might have problems I'm not aware of.
>=20
> Can someone shed some light onto this?=20
>=20

The first thing to check is if the secure boot is disabled. We do not =
support secure boot at all at this time.=20

If you have efi or bios version running - you can check from either =
console variable value (it can have efi or vidconsole or comconsole) or =
better yet, see if efi-version is set (show efi-version) - if =
efi-version is not set, it is BIOS loader running. Another indirect way =
is to see lsdev -v, with device paths present, it is uefi:)

GPT partitions can never start from disk absolute sector 1; this is =
because at sector 0 there is MBR (for compatibility), sector 1 is GPT =
table and then sectors 2-33 have GPT partition table entries, so the =
first possible data sector is 34 (absolute 34). Thats assuming 512B =
sectors.  For details see UEFI 2.7 Chapter 5.3.1 page 131.

rgds,
toomas