Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2000 03:35:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Digital Gopal <digital_gopal@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   WRITE command timeout...

After having unsuccessfully trying to install FreeBSD
4.0 for many times, I finally gave up and I'm now here
to post this problem here so that someone may help me.

It did write the partition table and replace the MBR
but when creating the new filesystem, I looked into
the debug console (since it took a long time) but it
reported the following messages:

ad0: WRITE command timeout - resetting
ata0: resetting devices ... done

This message loops many times.. and after a long time
I quit using Control-C

I have a VIA Apollo Pro chipset, Celeron 466 CPU,
Seagate 4.3GB HDD, ATAPI compatible CDROM Drive, 8MB
AGP.

It didn't even write the partition information at my
office computer which has a Intel 810 chipset, PIII
450, Seagate 10GB HDD, ATAPI compatible CD-WR Drive.

I saw a similar kind of problem in this URL:
http://x69.deja.com/=km/getdoc.xp?
AN=659557459&CONTEXT=969632590.874512407&hitnum=49

So, anybody could help me out. Or, Anybody can tell me
where I can get an installation floppy image for
FreeBSD that will have a kernel with UDMA features
disabled? Note that the BIOS setup settings are
circumvented by FreeBSD; disabling UDMA in BIOS has no
result.

-- Gopal