Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 19:41:56 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Unknow User <kernel@tdnet.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: user uses xv3.10a (PNG) to halt my system.

>Dear gentleman,
>
>probably, this is not the most suitable mailing list to post this mesg,
>but it's not worth to subscribe fbsd-questions only to get a answer. (if
>you hate me for that, ignore me)
>
>a) My system is 2.2.8Stable, where can i get a updated list about patch
>to this system?
>b) I have installed xv 3.10a (PNG), but my system has got freezed by
>running this software! So now, a user(i don't know which) have being
>stopping my system.
>c) is there possible to know which user is doing that?
>d) How can an user application halt my system, isn't fbsd supposed to be
>robust enough to handle this ?

   If you don't know which user is doing it, then how do you know that it is
xv that is causing the problem? I use that version of xv on various systems
here, with different versions of FreeBSD (including 2.2.8), all the time and
have never had problems.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org