Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2014 17:08:14 -0800
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
To:        jerry <jerry.lilijun@huawei.com>
Cc:        netdev@vger.kernel.org, "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: netmap, VALE and netmap pipes

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 5:03 PM, jerry <jerry.lilijun@huawei.com> wrote:

> Hi Luigi,
>
> How to use netmap pipe by pkt-gen commands?
> I have tried the commands as follows:
>   ./pkt-gen -i netmap:pipename{1 -f tx
>   ./pkt-gen -i netmap:pipename}1 -f rx  (in another terminal)
> But it works failed.
> Should the pipename be replaced with a invalid NIC name such as "eth3" in
> netmap mode?

netmap: expects the name of an existing device.
Arbitrary names should have the 'vale' prefix e.g.

./pkt-gen -i valexx:p{0 -f tx
./pkt-gen -i valexx:p}0 -f rx

> The netmap pipe works from software ring to software ring independently
> with NICs, I understand. Is that right?

correct, but the basename is used to group ports
(NICs/VALE ports and netmap pipes) that use the same
shared memory so that you can do zero copy among them.

cheers
luigi

--
 Prof. Luigi RIZZO, rizzo@iet.unipi.it  . Dip. di Ing. dell'Informazione