Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2001 12:22:17 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I am confused about tracking stable

On Saturday 20 January 2001 00:49, Bill Moran wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 12:20:48AM +0100, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> > > Hello
> > > I have a 4.0 RELEASE installation.
> > > Is tracking STABLE meaningful, since the latest release is 4.2
> >
> > Imagine 4.x-RELEASE a single point along a long line called
> > "FreeBSD 4.x-STABLE". In other words, every now and then we take a
> > snapshot of the current state of the 4.x branch, and call it
> > 4.y-RELEASE. The name "4.x-STABLE" means "the 4.x branch after the
> > release of 4.x-RELEASE but before 4.(x+1)-RELEASE". So the only
> > difference between 4.0-RELEASE and 4.2-RELEASE is that the latter
> > is a much newer version of the 4.x codebase. So what you want is in
> > fact to update to 4.2-STABLE.

Ok.
I have CD of 4.2. release
If I want to go from 4.0 release -> 4.2 release with this CD..
is this posible .. my experience of OS updates over many years
is not pleasant. I mean updates in place so to speak, rather than a
completely new install and post-resurrection of my configuration.

Thanks

Cliff