Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 2010 14:42:17 +0100
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   panic - sleeping thread on FreeBSD 8.0-stable / amd64

Hi,

One of my machines had a panic or something.
The machine was pingable, but I couldn't ssh into it, and there was no response on the console.

On the console was these lines:
"Sleeping thread (tid 10014, pid 0) owns a non-sleepable lock"
"panic: sleeping thread"
"cpuid = 1"

The only thing I did with the machine yesterday (before this happened) was to upgrade the machine froms zfs v13 to v14.
But that went well, no problems.
root@kg-f2# last | head -6
tingo            pts/1    kg-v2.kg4.no     Sun Jan 31 14:26   still logged in
tingo            pts/0    kg-v2.kg4.no     Sun Jan 31 14:26   still logged in
root             ttyv0                     Sun Jan 31 14:25   still logged in
reboot           ~                         Sun Jan 31 14:25
reboot           ~                         Sat Jan 30 17:48
reboot           ~                         Sat Jan 30 17:31

The two reboots yesterday is from the zfs upgrade.

Since I couldn't do anything useful with it, I just turned off the power and rebooted it.

The machine runs FreeBSD 8,0 stable and zfs:
root@kg-f2# uname -a
FreeBSD kg-f2.kg4.no 8.0-STABLE FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #1: Fri Jan 15 16:43:49 CET 2010     root@kg-f2.kg4.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

It will be a file server, nut is mostly idle now (I haven't started using it yet).
Details on the hardware: http://sites.google.com/site/tingox/ga-ma74gm-s2h
dmesgs and more on the FreeBSD page for this machine: http://sites.google.com/site/tingox/ga-ma74gm-s2h_freebsd

HTH
--