Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 09:20:34 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Jukka Simila <juksi@iname.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Ryan Davis <ryand@zenspider.com>
Subject:   Re: 3.4S -> 4.0S botched, can't build anything now

On Tue, Apr 25, 2000 at 10:43:38AM +0300, Jukka Simila wrote:

> On 25-Apr-00 Brooks Davis wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 09:53:46PM -0700, Ryan Davis wrote:
> >> I followed the instructions in /usr/src/UPDATING as best I could, but
> >> I still think it is conflicting on whether to build the kernel first
> >> or not. Doesn't matter, trying to build the kernel first failed,
> >> presumably because config has changed.
>
> I wasn't able to build a custom kernel; instead I built a GENERIC and that
> worked. (After I had similar problems like you)

I strongly recommend that anyone who doesn't require a custom kernel
just to boot use GENERIC during the bootstrap and then recreate their
custom kernel from GENERIC.  That way you should pick up all the new
things that have become defaults and get rid of obsolete, but working
syntax like the removal of numbers from declerations of PCI devices
(fxp0->fxp).

-- Brooks