Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 1995 12:14:49 -0700
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org, multimedia@rah.star-gate.com
Subject:   Re: Sound driver in 2.1 / 2.2..

>>> "Jordan K. Hubbard" said:
 > Well, "maplay" appears to play through /dev/dsp0 now, but there are
 > tweets and farts interspersed occasionally in the music, it's like it
 > just can't keep up (this is on a P5-90).  When I symlink /dev/dsp to
 > /dev/dsp2 (cdev major 30, minor 35) then things work just great.
 >
 > Should we just settle on /dev/dsp2 with a special MAKEDEV target
 > (sndgus?) or can Alain's patch be improved to where things sound
 > nice on /dev/dsp0?
 >
 > 					Jordan

Hi Guys,

For now , I think it will be best to keep the default /dev/dsp pointing
to /dev/dsp0 when I am done with the CS4231 code we can make the
CS4231 the default device. For example, right now /dev/dsp2 and /dev/dsp3
are playback and capture. Most of you don't have /dev/dsp3 so don't
worry about it because it will not work for you.
When the CS4231 side of things gets smooth out we will make /dev/dsp0
and /dev/dsp1 access the CS4231 side of the GUS, if there are no
technical objections;additionally, if /dev/dsp2 and /dev/dsp3 could
then access the GF1 side of things.

I doubt that we could improve the sound driver to perform much faster than
what it already is. Alain's patch addresses the  problem of downloading
an incorrect 16 bit stereo sound format stream to the sound card
and does not increase the performance of the sound driver.

	Enjoy,
	Amancio