Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 1997 00:22:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Pierre Omidyar <pierre@ebay.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   new stable aic7xxx.c ?

Hello all,

We are running the release version of 2.1.7-RELEASE.

We just did a cvsup for stable again, and retrieved several new files,
including a new version of aic7xxx.c (and other assorted files):

  $Id: aic7xxx.c,v 1.29.2.32 1997/02/25 03:54:28 gibbs Exp $

Is this intended as an actual 2.1.7-STABLE addition?

The reason I ask is that we have been plagued with numerous "timed out
while idle" messages and freezes or panics ever since moving from 2.1.5 to
2.1.7. We have an Adaptec 2940UW hooked up to several Quantum Atlas drives
(current rev of 915L). A few other sites have reported similar problems
since moving from 2.1.5 to 2.1.7. And, the problem seems worse the more
drives are on the SCSI bus. (We previously sent a more detailed description
of what we were seeing to freebsd-stable.)

Anyway, my hope is that this new version of the adaptec-related scsi
drivers are intended to address this problem. But, we are aware that some
files may make it into the cvsup-able stable distribution prior to their
intended release, and I wanted to check here since I hadn't seen these
changes mentioned on this list.

(cc'd to freebsd-scsi as well, and apologies if this has been covered there
previously.)

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

Regards,

Pierre