Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 1997 20:37:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@cybercom.net>
To:        Troy Curtiss <troyc@sandy.merix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status on LS-120 drive support? (moving to chat...)

On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Troy Curtiss wrote:

 : Anybody out there using those LS-120 drives yet?  I think they
 : are IDE-interfaced.  Looks like they hold 120MB and can read old
 : floppies (1.44M) too.  If they are going to be supported (or going
 : to be commercially successful), they look like a better deal than
 : the Iomega Zip drives.  Any thoughts?

The drives look like they could be a match for the Iomega Zip (especially
with 20% more storage space), but they have some catching up to do.
Iomega has shipped more than one million Zip drives to date, far more than
any other similar drive.  The media is everywhere--computer stores, office
supply stores, technical bookstores.  And we all know somebody that has
one, so they're well-tested and great for exchanging with friends.

Remember the EZ-135?  They were supposed to be technically superior to the
Zip, too (35% more space, 50% faster, etc.), but weak marketing, shipping
delays and reliability problems have all but made those things extinct.

It's hard to overturn such a "well-established" market.  But if you decide
to go that route, let me know how it works out.

K.S.