Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 1998 17:19:32 -800
From:      walton@nordicdms.com (Dave Walton)
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partitioning 3.5 G HD for FreeBSD

On  3 Feb 98 at 10:12, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 02, 1998 at 03:28:38PM -0800, Marty Leisner wrote:
> >>
> >> /	40 MB
> >> swap	128 MB
> >> /usr	the rest
> >>
> >> There's no reason to have separate file systems for /usr/src and
> >> /usr/local.  Some people prefer a separate /var file system, but I
> >> don't recommend that either.  Instead create a directory /usr/var and
> >> make /var a symlink to that directory.
> >
> > Hmmm...I'm not sure I agree...
> >
> > I like to have more partitions for several reasons:
> > 	1) if you fill up 1 partition, you still have space elsewhere
>
> Not if you have filled up all your partitions.  If you only have one
> partition, you will have space in that partition up to the point where
> all partitions of a multi-partition scheme would be full.

As long as this is turning into a discussion of the logic behind
different partitioning schemes, I thought I'd toss in another factor
for consideration.  (Please bear in mind that I may not have the
slightest idea what I'm talking about, since I've spent very little
time messing with quotas.)

Considering that quotas are tracked on a per-filesystem basis, and
that the size of the quota.* files appears to be relative to the
number of files in the filesystem, it would seem to be a good idea
for /usr/home to be a separate partition on systems with quotas
enabled.  My feeling (again, no personal experience) is that such an
arrangement would not only save space, but also improve performance.

Dave

Dave Walton
Webmaster, Postmaster                   Nordic Entertainment Worldwide
walton@nordicdms.com                          http://www.nordicdms.com