Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 13:35:47 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   SysctlFS

Hi,

I've been tweaking the sysctls here and there for some time now, and I'd
like to see what is the current opinion on implementing sysctl tree as a
filesystem. Most of the work I've done with dynamic sysctls is very
similar to what happens with filesystem. Also, filesystem model allows for
much more fine-grained access control.

I'm opposed to the idea of having something similar like Linux /proc,
though, with nice formatting done in the kernel... The objects hooked up
to the names should still be retrieved in binary form, as they are
exported via SYSCTL_* macros. But filesystem paradigm would allow us to
reuse all the concepts for hierarchical name handling, traversal,
permissions etc... The sysctlFS nodes would be probably read-only from
userland, as I don't see much sense in userland programs renaming or
removing them - they would be created, named and removed from
kernel-land. But things like traversal and access would be simplified
greatly.

Any thoughts?

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)